Internships – KIND
October 18, 2010
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is looking for legal interns during the spring semester to assist us in providing pro bono legal representation to unaccompanied children within the immigration system. For more information about KIND, please visit www.supportkind.org.
Spring 2011 KIND Internships
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is looking for legal interns to assist us in providing pro bono legal representation to unaccompanied children within the immigration system. The positions will be unpaid, but we are happy to assist you with externship credit, work study, or securing funding from external sources. For more information about KIND, please see the attached Fact Sheet and visit www.supportkind.org.
Interested applicants must be:
- Currently enrolled in a J.D. or LLM program or recent graduates of either program.
- Highly fluent in Spanish & English.
- Able to work at least 15-25 hours per week. We are flexible in scheduling.
- Interested and experienced in working with immigrant children.
- Able to use their own laptop during the internship.
Legal interns will assist us in the following:
- Interpreting –assisting at intake interviews with clients, as well as interpreting telephone calls and translating documents.
- Interviewing – conducting follow-up interviews and phone calls with clients, adult sponsors, and other agencies.
- Information-Gathering – contacting adult sponsors, social workers, government agencies, and relatives or other agencies from the child’s home country to prepare case files.
- Coordinating Law Firms & Pro Bono Volunteer Attorneys – keeping track of case status with pro bono attorneys, referring cases to pro bono attorneys, technical assistance, and assisting with trainings.
- Conducting Rights Presentations – helping to create and conduct rights presentations to children when they first enter the immigration system, as well as legal orientation programs for adult sponsors to know their rights and responsibilities when sponsoring a detained child immigrant.
- Administrative Tasks – including data reporting and statistics on our clients and volunteers, and other tasks as needed.
If interested, please submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line KIND Spring Internship:
1) Application Form; Résumé; 2 References
Submit all applications as soon as possible. KIND will be accepting applications on a rolling basis until Monday, November 15, 2010. Early applications preferred. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email email@example.com or call (202) 682-7067.